Monday, September 17, 2007

Why, Part 2

Scene: 10pm. Vampboy has a fever of 102. After loading the car, he vomits pedialyte, strawberries and supplemental formula all over himself and me. As he cries hysterically, we clean him up and throw him in another shirt for the hour-long trip to the ER. His symptoms will most likely lead to a stay in the hospital for a day or two. Vampmommy grabs more bibs and towels, heading towards the car in a rush. Vampboy's hat is missing, but time to search for it is slim. Vampmommy's mom is in the back seat, working to keep Vampboy calm as I click him into his car seat.

VD: I need to you be calm, and take deep breaths (VB). If you keep crying you'll make yourself sick.

VB: (sobbing) I go now. Hospital. Shut door. Get in car.

VD: No, son -- I'm not coming. Mommy and Memere are going to take you to hospital.

VB: (sobbing stops) Why.

VD: Daddy has to be at work in the morning. Mommy and Memere are going to take care of you.

VB: Why.

VD: (pause)

VB: Why.

VD: (pause)

VB: Why.

VD: (pause)

VB: Why

(The sound of a heart breaking is heard.)

Fade to black.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Geez, that sucks.

I hope he's doing better. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little lad. I hope Vampboy will be well enough to come home soon and that this incident is just a minor stumble on the road to a full recovery. God bless!--Ali

Anonymous said...

Just when you thought that raising a child with cancer was painful enough...

Anonymous said...

Oh, how heartbreaking. I hope your son is doing better.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I hope he is feeling better and home soon.

Melanie

Lainey-Paney said...

Oh.......I'm sorry.
Sorry that he was sad, and sorry that your heart was breaking.I can't imagine how that must feel.

...just remember...you ARE doing your part. You ARE helping your family. You ARE helping to make his treatments possible, and to help VampMommy.
I know in those minutes, you must question that....just remind yourself...you ARE helping.

Anonymous said...

VampDaddy works to provide for his family.

~UncleWolf